Class of July 1970 (All photos courtesy of Bob Kelo)
July 1970 - These fifteen recruit firefighters, pictured at Station 9 with the Training Officer, comprised the final group hired to fill out the four platoons required by the 42-hour work week that was scheduled to begin three months later.
Front (L-R): John Calamo, John Corbett, Tony D'Agostino, Dep. Chief Daniel Hume, Tom Mikolinski and Bill Giaquinto.
Rear (L-R): Frank Dorman, Bill Coppola, Steve Hitchcock, Jeff Stoehr, Dennis Cosgrove, Ray Chase, Howie Hurlburt, Jr., Bob Kelo, Bob Kenney, and Jim Hagerty.
The last of these men to retire was Bill Coppola, who retired as a Battalion Chief in 2006.
Fire Chief V. Paul Leddy with Dep. Chief Hume. Recruits that can be identified are (L-R): Jeff Stoehr, Tony D'Agostino, Steve Hitchcock, Howie Hurlburt, Jr., Tom Mikolinski, Bob Kenney, Jim Hagerty and Ray Chase. The A-Frame building in the background housed Volunteer Co. 9's 1929 Seagrave tiller ladder truck from the mid-1960s until it was sold in 1973.
Recruits examine the brand new Maxim 100' aerial ladder truck that was delivered during the training period. This truck remained in service for nearly 20 years.
Dep. Chief Hume on turntable of new ladder truck.
Class of July 1970 (L-R): Dep. Chief Hume, Stoehr, Calamo, Cosgrove (rear), Dorman, Hitchcock, Chase, Kenney, Mikolinski, Coppola, D'Agostino, Giaquinto, Hurlburt (hidden), Hagerty, Corbett, and Kelo.