The historical outline below is taken from the program for the Second Annual Hamden Firemen's Memorial Service, held at Memorial Town Hall on June 10, 1934.
The History Committee for the event consisted of Messrs. Ralph Eno, Michael J. Whalen, and Harold G. Emerson.
1898 - Highwood Volunteer Fire Assn. - Hose Co. 1 - Alstrum St. (CLICK for enlarge and IDs)
c. 1905 - Highwood Volunteer Fire Assn. quarters at the New Lebanon Mission Building on Morse Street.
This hand drawn hook and ladder truck was built by members of the Highwood Volunteer Fire Association in the winter of 1907-08. It is pictured here next to their quarters in the New Lebanon Mission Building on Morse Street.
1913 - Members of the Highwood Volunteer Fire Association in front of their new quarters at the corner of Dixwell Avenue and Morse Street. Built in 1909, the building still stands today. L-R: Larry Cashman, Stanley Mautte, Frank McMullen, George Yardley, Ike Recour, Art Norman, Olie Ryan, Roland Ruwet, Jules Norman and Frank Whiteman. (Photo courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)
Highwood Co. 1 with their new 1918 Stewart chemical truck (Courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)
Volunteers from Highwood pose with their brand new Stewart chemical truck, delivered in February 1918 at a cost of $1,800. It remained in service at the Highwood station until March 1926, when a new Maxim 500 GPM pumper was delivered. The 1918 Stewart chemical was then assigned to the Mix District Volunteer Fire Co. 7, where it remained until delivery of their new 1935 Dodge Bros. truck.
1942 - Brand new 1941 Diamond-T city service ladder truck in front of Station 1.
1951 - Note that "Engine Co. 1" has been changed back to "Hose Co. No. 1"
This late 1980s photo by Chan Brainard shows the old Highwood fire station when it was Hamden Glass. Previously, it was the Jodi Lamp Shop. Since this photo was taken it has been a Subway Store and is now a restaurant specializing in Asian cuisine.